Clyde Companies recently donated $200,000 to the Civil and Environmental Engineering department at the University of Utah. In return, the 1,547 square foot Concrete Lab on Level 1 of the Alan W. Layton Building (formerly the HEDCO building) will be renamed The Clyde Companies Construction Materials Lab.
The donation will go towards renovations in the building in addition to the purchase of new equipment for the lab. The upgrades will allow students at the university to utilize modernized facilities, enhancing the overall quality of their construction education.
With the rapid move towards cyberinfrastructure, the Civil and Environmental Engineering department is working to significantly upgrade facilities to include smart pavements, laboratories for concrete mixing, and other modern hands-on equipment. Additional laboratories in the building will receive new, equally impressive equipment.
Originally constructed in the 1930’s, the facility was among several buildings that were deeded to the university from the U.S. Bureau of Mines in the 1980’s, and renovations this extensive haven’t been seen on site in some time.
Construction on the project is expected to be finalized soon with a permanent display recognizing Clyde Companies’ generous donation near the entrance to the lab.
As part of its mission of Building a Better Community, Clyde Companies is proud to partner with institutions of higher education. We invest heavily in educational institutions each year, including the University of Utah, through scholarships, internships, and employment opportunities.